Joseph Kagan’s practice focuses on the defense of individuals and businesses of all sizes involved in business, real estate, and personal injury matters in both state and federal courts. He has extensive experience successfully representing clients, from individuals to national retailers to publicly traded real estate firms, engaged in complex real estate and catastrophic injury litigation. Mr. Kagan also advises clients not involved in litigation on matters including but not limited to commercial lease negotiation and amendment, lease interpretation, abatement, and construction lien issues. Mr. Kagan’s practice also involves advising clients regarding risk-avoidance, claim investigation, and cost-efficient dispute resolution.
Mr. Kagan has successfully represented his clients from the inception of a dispute through trial in commercial, real estate, and personal injury matters. He was selected to the 2021 Best Lawyers in America© “Ones to Watch” for his commercial litigation and product liability expertise. This award highlights the most promising young lawyers in the country who have been in practice between five and ten years. Mr. Kagan was also recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers© in 2022, an award given to no more than 2.5% of the top young lawyers in the California.
Mr. Kagan is actively involved with his law school, California Western School of Law, serving on the school’s Alumni Association’s Board of Directors, and as a mentor to new 1L students each year. He is also active within the San Diego legal community. Mr. Kagan is a Barrister in the American Inns of Court, William B. Enright Chapter, and has served on the Board of Directors for the San Diego Defense Lawyers since January 2021.
- State Bar of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- San Diego Defense Lawyers, Board of Directors (January 2021 to present)
- California Western School of Law Alumni Association Board of Directors (2018 to present)
- American Inns of Court, William B. Enright Chapter – Barrister (2015 to present)
- Awards & Recognitions: Super Lawyers© “Rising Star” – 2022
- Best Lawyers in America © “Ones to Watch” – 2021
- Academic Excellence Award, Alternative Dispute Resolution, California Western School of Law